Girlguiding Devon Camp Site
Taw Bottom is situated in the centre of Devon at South Tawton, near Okehampton. One of its boundaries is the River Taw and it is within walking distance of Dartmoor. The fourteen-acre site comprises extensive woodland with four main campsites, two small 'Patrol' sites, the Longhouse building, a Campfire Circle and a Quiet Area.
- Each of the main campsites has its own solid wooden shelter, flush toilets, wash basins and hot showers.
- Trees and bushes give privacy from the other sites.
- Generators provide electricity if required.
- Beech and Hawthorn sites share two outdoor catering sinks with hot and cold water.
- There is good accessibility for those with disabilities
- Ideal location for Duke of Edinburgh and Ten Tors camp
There is camp equipment for hire, sufficient for twenty-four people. This includes two gas boilers, a 2-burner gas stove, another gas stove with small oven, but excludes tents. Also on-site are pioneering equipment, (which includes materials for making bridges, chariots, rafts - and more), a Fitness Trail and an Orienteering Trail and the Taw Bottom Challenge. This is based on backwoods skills; all equipment and instructions are provided and badges can be ordered on completion. Archery instruction is available on request.
The Longhouse is a good-sized wooden building which has a fully equipped catering-style kitchen, an activity room and a covered dining/activity area outside. It can be booked separately from the camping sites. There are facilities for the disabled. The car park is large enough for coaches as well as a good number of cars and minibuses. A 2-berth caravan may be hired for additional accommodation.
Taw Bottom is easily accessible from the A30 and the town of Okehampton is only seven miles away, with a good range of shops, supermarkets and other facilities.
Other local activities include:
- walking on Dartmoor
- swimming at Okehampton and adventure playground
- Finch Foundry (National Trust, junior activities) www.nationaltrust.org.uk/finchfoundry(link is external)
- Museum of Dartmoor Life, Okehampton firstname.lastname@example.org(link is external)
- Adventure Okehampton (varied adventurous activities) www.adventureokehampton.com(link is external)
Taw Bottom lends itself to camps and day visits by many groups including Guides, Scouts, schools and students. It is ideal for Forest School type activities and as a base for Ten Tors or Duke of Edinburgh training.
With the availability of the Longhouse/kitchen and adjoining toilet/shower block, tents are the only addition needed for a quick and easy residential.
Recent Developments have been:
- the Longhouse kithen has a new floor and has been re-painted making it feel much brighter
- the outdoor sinks on Beech/Hawthorn have drop-down covers to help protect them
- there is a new gas fridge to add to the other gas equipment for hire (boilers and cookers)
- the BBQ outside the Longhouse has been repaired
- accessibility improvements have been made to the Longhouse and the Disabled toilet/shower room
- A tree survey identified many trees/branches that needed removing. Many of our trees suffered with Ash dieback and over 70 trees have been felled. This has improved the site enormously, opening up areas to allow the remaining trees to flourish.
- a habitat assessment has been made and the whole site has great potential for wildlife and biodiversity.
- many Scouting and school groups enjoy camping at Taw Bottom, sometimes using the site as a base for Ten Tors and Duke of Edinburgh training.
We hope that all who visit Taw Bottom will enjoy all that the site has to offer, including the peace and tranquility which can be found in this beautiful, secluded place.
|Taw Bottom Fitness Trail.pdf||466.32 KB|
|Taw Bottom Orienteering trail.pdf||57.74 KB|
|How to make a Ballista.pdf||266.79 KB|
|How to make a chariot.pdf||366.31 KB|
|How to make a commando bridge.pdf||167.79 KB|
|How to make a monkey bridge.pdf||200.15 KB|
|How to make a raft.pdf||132.31 KB|
|How to make a swing boat.pdf||230.95 KB|
|Taw Bottom Challenge.pdf||986.93 KB|